Sunday 17 June 2012

Funfetti Pastel Swirl Cake




So I first saw the idea of a swirl cake here and also a funfetti cake here on Sweetapolita's blog. I have to admit, she really makes baking look so easy and I'm fangirling a little..

I really wanted to try something a little different than the usual cupcakes I make. 

This has to be one of my favourite recipes for the cake, I use it all the time for cupcakes, its so simple and easy and quick! Iused the lovely pastel colours of purple, pink and blue... It looks a little like a sunrise. I do like these colours, but next time I might try orange and yellows and do a sunset type look.

Or what colours would you choose for a swirl cake? Let me know.



Ingredients for the cake:

225g unsalted butter
225g castor sugar
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 medium eggs
5 tblsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Funfetti sprinkles

Buttercream Icing:

230g icing sugar
115g butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 tblsp milk
various colours, I used blue, pink and purple




Method:

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line two baking tins, I used 18in ones.

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together. Divide equally into two baking tins and bake for 35 mins or until a skewer is clean when inserted in the middle.

Leave to cool completely.

In the meanwhile, mix ingredients for the buttercream icing. Separate into 3 bowls leaving some remaining plain coloured icing for the middle and enough to 'dirty ice' the cake.

To 'dirty ice' just smooth with a spatula a thin layer of buttercream over the entire cake and chill for 30 mins. This will prevent the crumbs from getting stuck in the icing colours.

In the 3 separate bowls, mix the colours you desire, I used three but you can use more if desired.




Once the cake has chilled and the buttercream has set, start with icing about 2in of the cake from the bottom. I started with purple. Then move onto the top layer which I coloured blue. Using the pink I carefully mixed between the purple and blue and formed the swirl with the palette.

Decorate with whole and crushed silver and blue icing balls. 

Enjoy!




My pic of the cake on instagram, follow me its angelbar1


No comments:

Post a Comment